Scarperia, an important settlement located just before the Tuscan-Emilia Apennine pass, was founded at the will of the Florentine Republic on the 7th of September 1306. Originally named Castel San Barnaba, the name Scarperia was given due to its geographical positioning; a steep slope (scarpata erta) and ria of the Apennine.
The city originated as a military outpost of the Florentine Republic, as well as a checkpoint of the trans-Apennine road, which was the only means of communication between Florence and Bologna until the first half of 18th century.
In 1415 Scarperia became a branch of the Vicariate, assuming administrative operations delegated by the Florentine Republic. The Palace, originally designed as a fort, turned into a residence and workplace and was eventually transformed into the structure that can be seen today. The Vicar’s official investiture occurred in the Oratory of the Madonna di Piazza, located in front of the building.
During the 15th and 16th centuries Scarperia was a popular place for restaurant and hotel owners to developed their business, especially along the main street of the town.
There you could find artisan shops carrying the everyday staples as well as laboratories and workshops where agricultural tools and knives were created using iron.
The manufacture and sales of knives and other cutting tools is what characterized Scarperia and immediately this type of handicraft became the specialization and notoriety of the town. Today we can admire Scarperia in all of its beauty; historic, artistic and artisan.
The art of knives and cutting tools dominates the collector’s market, due to the innovative and symbolic design and use of valuable materials.
The historic buildings which, along with the Palazzo dei Vicari, characterize the city are: the Rectory of Saints Jacob and Phillip, the Oratory of Madonna In the Square, The oratory of Madonna of the earthquakes, Il Torrino (the small tower), Medieval Control tower, the remains of the 16th century town wall.
In the surrounding countryside we can find the Parish church of Fagna with a neo-barocco façade as well as the parish church Romanica.
As well as the collection of sacred art and Center of Archeological Documentation located in S. Agata